Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Country Living



Sometimes I am reminded of how lucky I am to be able to raise my children in the country. On Sunday, the twins and I went over to my dad's house. We took their riding toys (Barbie jeep and John Deere tractor) and let them go. As I followed them down the road toward the pond, I was struck at just how precious this moment is. Here are my children playing on the same land that I played on as a child. As we got closer to the pond, I had flashes of my childhood. I thought about how many times my grandfather and I had gone fishing or looked for deer and turkeys. I can't tell you how many times I "counted cows" with Papaw. I learned to drive in that very same field. I took so many walks collecting flowers, rocks, and anything else that I thought was neat at the time. So many precious memories! Now it is my children who are "growing up on the land." I am fully aware of just how lucky I am. So many memories to make - so little time. Country living may not be for everybody, but it is certainly for us.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I swear they both look just like their Gran-Gran!!!! I remember running after you all over that land. It was fun.

Anonymous said...

Rachel,

They are adorable! I too recall the many wonderful memories growing up "in the country." You are in all of my memories. I still have the picture of us riding the 4-wheeler in the mud at my grandparent's house....:-)

Anonymous said...

Caroline and Charlie are so cute. I wish Ma and Pa were still alive to see them. They would spoil them. This is such a hard time of the year and it helps to see these beautiful babies. It gives hope to the future. Thanks for sharing. Love, Aunt Ellen

Jamie said...

Glad that y'all are so happy, Rachel.

Love Charlie's shirt. Roll Tide!

Anonymous said...

These beautiful children are growing up too quick. Heck, my baby is 12 now and it seems like only yesterday that he was their age. I am proud of you for documenting all the good times you share. There was no such thing as a blog 12 years ago. I still don't know how you do it with TWINS !!!! Love you, Kelly

Nettles said...

Rach - They are precious! I am glad that Charlie and Caroline are able to enjoy the same things that you enjoyed as a child. Growing up "in the country" is the BEST! We are cooking again this year at ButlerFest so hopefully we can see you all then! Much Love, Shannon

Todd and Joni said...

Just wanted to let you know that I started a blog....cheney-family@blogspot.com Love you and tell those babies hello for me!